Ben Tarbutton III, chair of the Board of Regents for the University System of Georgia (USG), announced today the appointment of the University of Georgia (UGA) Presidential Search Committee. A national search will be conducted to replace UGA President Michael Adams, who will step down on June 30, 2013. Adams has served as UGA’s president since 1997.
“I am pleased we have such a great committee to assist with the search for the next president of the University of Georgia,” said Tarbutton. “The University of Georgia is a great institution and we expect that many strong candidates will be interested. I am excited about the search and look forward to working with Chairman Walker and the members of the search committee.” Chancellor Hank Huckaby concurred, “The identification and selection of a leader for one of the top public universities in the country is one of our most important tasks.”
The Search Committee, created as outlined in board policy, will guide the first stage of the search. USG Chancellor Hank Huckaby and the Board of Regents have retained R. William Funk and Associates, Dallas, Texas, to provide executive search consulting services.
The initial meeting of the Presidential Search Committee will be held on July 24 at 1:30 p.m. on the UGA campus, at which time the members will be formally charged with their roles and responsibilities in conducting the search.
Members of the Presidential Search Committee are as follows:
- Regent Larry Walker, committee chair
- Regent Rusty Griffin
- Regent Don Leebern
- Regent Dink NeSmith
- Regent Doreen Poitevint
- Regent Ben Tarbutton III
- Regent Philip Wilheit
- Dr. Alan Darvill, Regents Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Plant Biology, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and Director of the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center
- Dr. Steve Stice, Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in Reproductive Physiology, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, and Director of the Regenerative Bioscience Center
- Dr. K. Paige Carmichael, Professor of Pathology, Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor and Associate Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Mr. W. Dennis Epps, Deputy Director, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, and Associate Director for the Vinson Institute’s Governmental Services and Research Division
- Dr. Denise A. Spangler, Professor of Mathematics Education and Department Head of Mathematics and Science Education, College of Education
- Dr. John C. Inscoe, Albert W. Saye Professor and UGA Professor of History
- Dr. Robert Sumichrast, Dean and Simon S. Selig, Jr. Chair for Economic Growth, Terry College of Business
- Mr. Jerry Daniel, IT Professional, Department of Mathematics and President of the UGA Staff Council
- Mr. Will Burgess, President, UGA Student Government Association
- Mr. William D. Young Jr., President, General Wholesale Company and Chair of the University of Georgia Foundation
- Judge Steve Jones, United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and President of the UGA Alumni Association
- Mr. Rogers Wade, President and Chief Executive Officer Georgia Public Policy Foundation and member of the UGA Agricultural Engineering Advisory Board
- Mr. Chris Cummiskey, Commissioner, Georgia Department of Economic Development
- Mr. Larry Thompson, John A. Sibley Professor in Corporate and Business Law, School of Law; former deputy attorney general for the United States; and former senior vice president of government affairs, general counsel and secretary for PepsiCo. Editor’s note: On June 18, 2012, PepsiCo, Inc. announced that Larry Thompson has rejoined the company as Executive Vice President, Government Affairs, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, effective July 30.
Newly appointed chair of the UGA Presidential Search Committee, Regent Larry Walker went on to say, “I take the responsibility as chair of this committee very seriously and I am certain each member of the search committee feels the same. We will do our best to find the right leader for this great university.”